[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
BigLake411.com • View topic - New to the saltwater scene

• Advertisement
TFO Rods

New to the saltwater scene

Welcome to Big Lake 411

New to the saltwater scene

Postby Gregorysnell » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:49 pm

I've lived in lake Charles for almost 6 years, but have always been a freshwater fisherman. I'm from the Toledo bend area and did not want to put my express bass boat in the saltwater. I recently was given permission from my wife to go ahead and get a bay boat. I found a very well taken care of 07 19ft nautic star with a 150 merc on it and bought it last week. I'm itch into get on the water now. Would appreciate any info or tips on anything and everything from how to rig my rods to types of structure to look for. Really would like to catch flounder and specks. Wouldn't mind taking anyone along on a fishing trip that doesn't mind showing a new guy the ropes.
Gregorysnell

Re: New to the saltwater scene

Postby gerald » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Welcome to the world of Saltwater fishing and the "new" boat.

I hope your "learning" experience for saltwater fish will be good.......but keep in mind, right now fishing conditions are not good. There has been a lot of rain and the water is "fresh" and still a little muddy. This makes fishing tough right now. People that fish a lot are still catching Trout, flounder and redfish...you just need to know where to go to catch them.

As for gear......your bass fishing rods and reels should be good. But, keep in mind that saltwater can be very hard on cheeper quality reels. Recommend that you search post on this site [and other sites] of fishing reels to learn more. Most people use ~12 lb mono. Some like braid line.

As for baits [soft plastic and hard].......there are 100's to choose from. Most will catch fish. The important thing to remember is how you work the bait is probably just as important as what bait you use. As a rule of thumb......cloudy and/or dirty water, use darker color baits. If the water is clear [10"+ visibility] and it is sunny, use lighter color bait.

When it is cold......sloooooooow down the way you work the bait. Also using 1/8 or 1/16 oz jig heads will generaly catch more fish during the winter. Suspending type baits worked slowly are good to use right now. In a month or 2 the water will warm up some and the fish will start to get more active.

Using live or "fresh" bait you will generally get a lot more bites......but also catch more catfish and other "trash" fish. Use fresh [or frozen] shrimp and you will catch some fish.

Good luck and have fun. Generally......on a bad saltwater fishing trip, you will catch more fish than on a freshwater trip.
gerald

Re: New to the saltwater scene

Postby Gregorysnell » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:11 am

Thanks for the pointers.

Went out Saturday morning with a buddy who has fished the lake before and had a decent first outing. He couldn't stay but a couple of hours,but he showed me a few places to try. Ended the day around 1 with 1 keeper red, 2 flounder and 3 specks. Had a good time.
Gregorysnell

Return to The Welcome Center