[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
BigLake411.com • View topic - Exciting Bow hunting

• Advertisement
TFO Rods

Exciting Bow hunting

Discuss all hunting stuff here. Feel free to post pics of your kill as well

Exciting Bow hunting

Postby gerald » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:51 am

Clear Creek WMA

About a year ago, my hunting buddy found a creek bed that had a good “Oak flat”. The first time he hunted there, he saw a Doe but did not get a shot. I made a couple of late season hunts there last year, without seeing any deer.

This year has been better. I have learned a better route to get to this spot and got familiar with the area when I scouted it some before the season.

The first bow hunt of the season was a learning experience for this veteran hunter. About 9 AM, I had a small Buck come in on my left side. When I first spotted it walking towards me about 35 yards away, I thought it was a spike. When it came to a spot in some sun light, I saw that it was a 3 point…..no, wait…there were several long sticker points, so it was at least a 6 point, maybe a 7 point. I did not get a good look before it got under some tree limbs 15 yards away.

The direction he was walking, would take him in front of me 5 to 10 yards away but first he stopped under the small trees. This allowed me to get my bow in position. After a long…..45 second wait, the Buck slowly turned to walk away from my setup. OK, if he just moves to the right 5 yards I have an open area to get a shot. This does not happen. The Buck walks off and does not give me a shot.

About 11:30 AM, I look down to the spot under the trees where the Buck had stopped and see a “brown” spot. What, 15 yards away, is that a deer?….YES.

Again I get in position, hoping this deer would come out in front of me for a shot. When the deer moved, it took a couple of steps to my left. Do I turn to the left or wait. Another step to the left and I turn for a close shot at the Doe. After another couple of steps her head is in an opening 12 yards from my tree, so I start to draw back.

This is where the “learning” part comes in to play. As I start to pull back, my finger touches the release…..”twang” and the arrow falls like a “lob shot” from my 20’ elevated position and lands a foot from where the deer had been standing. The Doe runs off 20 yards and stops for a minute before walking off in the same direction that the Buck had left the area.

I hunted a few more hours that day with no more action.
gerald

Re: Exciting Bow hunting

Postby jsmoke222000 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Damn man, that sucks! Atleast you saw something though. Better luck next time.
jsmoke222000
Site Admin

2012 Majek Extreme 2200

Return to General Hunting Discussion