[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
BigLake411.com • View topic - Deer....Deer.....someone shoot

• Advertisement
Majek Boats

Deer....Deer.....someone shoot

Discuss all hunting stuff here. Feel free to post pics of your kill as well

Deer....Deer.....someone shoot

Postby gerald » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:55 am

A week later I am hunting the same area on Clear Creek WMA where I almost got a nice Doe, but move about 50 yards and my buddy is hunting about a ½ mile away. We check in with radios a couple of time during the morning but neither of us sees any deer. We meet up for lunch to talk about what we would do for the afternoon. While by his truck talking……a small doe runs across the dirt road about 60 yards away. Then about a minute later, it runs back to the other side of the road.

He goes back to his spot. I checked out another area, but decide to hunt the same tree again for the rest of the afternoon.

About 5 PM, I spotted “legs” walking in some thick brush about 75 yards away. Then there were 2 more sets of legs walking. These deer turned in my direction some. It was 2 Does and a fawn. They were eating acorns and slowly moving my direction with the small fawn being the closest. They got to about 35 yards but no shot due to tree limbs, before heading away from me.

There was no more movement before dark and I was about to climb down when I spotted something dark about 80 yards away. After watching it for another minute I determined that the “dark” spot did move closer to me. Now if there would just be enough light. As each second passed…..the light got dimmer and the animal [still not sure if it was a deer] got a little closer. I had an openings for a shot out in front of me and to my left depending on which side of some downed tree limbs the deer [?] would go. It was out of sight in the shadows of the trees. I could not see. Finally while straining to see; I spotted the white tail pass the opening in front of me. If only the deer had passed 5 minutes earlier.

I climb down and contact my buddy by radio. He said come on……he was waiting for me. I told him, it would be 30+ minutes before I would be there. I get to him a little after 8 PM and as we are putting his climber in the truck he said to get my deer cart out first…..????. Yes, he had killed a 4 point about 6:30 PM. And it was still down by the edge of the cut over. This was the first time to try out the cart that I had made a couple of weeks earlier. It worked well.
gerald

Re: Deer....Deer.....someone shoot

Postby jsmoke222000 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Well even though it turned out to be a deer that you saw, you definitely did the right thing by not shooting it without knowing 100% what it was. Many people have been injured & killed because careless hunters have taken a shot at a similar "dark object" or something in the brush thinking that it was a deer. Kudos to you for doing the right thing. :cheers:
jsmoke222000
Site Admin

2012 Majek Extreme 2200

Return to General Hunting Discussion