[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4860: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3850)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4862: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3850)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4863: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3850)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4864: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3850)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
BigLake411.com • View topic - Where do you get your tackle?

• Advertisement
Majek Boats

Where do you get your tackle?

Discuss all fishing tackle here. Rods, reels, lures, hooks, line, etc.

Re: Where do you get your tackle?

Postby SaltyShaw » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:20 pm

Capt. Kade Shaw
SaltyShaw

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:26 pm

That's a dang good reel for saltwater.
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby Oldfrog » Wed May 25, 2011 11:44 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I thought it may be beneficial to some of the sponsors or potential sponsors if a few of us out-of- towners (Shreveport guys) chimed in. Salt water tackle is hard to find in my area, but I can pick up a few items at Bass Pro in Bossier, although they arent my favorite place to shop. They dont have much anyway.

I buy most of my rods ( mainly Castaways) and reels ( Shimano) at Academy in Shreveport for one simple reason: Their return/replacement policy. They have a " no questions asked" return policy on rods. While I would never abuse it, I have on one occasion, snapped the tip from an ultra lite Castaway Crappie rod while transporting it. I thought it snapped a bit too easily because I saw it happen. Someone mentioned their return policy to me that same day so I decided to give it a try. After all, I probably spend upwards of $3000-4000 a year at Academy....(although I'm afraid to stop and add it up.)

I walked in, told them the truth about how the rod tip broke and they cheerfully gave me another one. I almost felt bad about it and asked them "Are you sure?" They said it doesnt matter how it was broken, they will replace it. Wow !

You can call it what you wish, but I call it great customer service and excellent public relations. Now you know why I shop at Academy when I'm able. As far as Big Lake is concerned, I make it a point to stop at Lake Charles tackle on McNeese st. each trip because I like to support local businesses whenever I can. Besides, I try to stop at Jimmy's BBQ down the road from there too.

I also try to spend a few dollars with Curtis the Crab man down in Cameron...even if it's just a lead sinker or two. 'Havent been since last summer, so I hope he's still there. I used to buy a few items from Crucial Tackle online, but I think his website is down right now. He's been having some health issues I'm told and hope he's Ok. I never buy from WalMart if I can help it. They dont have much anyway...unless you go to the one in Aransas Pass , Texas. So, for this beach bum in training, it's mainly Academy sports and Lake Charles Tackle. But I'm open to doing business with anyone who cares about their customers and whether they return or not. Let's face it. The 30+ rods in my bedroom are a slight indication of a tackle addiction. Let's not talk about reels and tackle boxes. 'Good thing I'm no longer married....huh? Who can afford it?
Oldfrog

Postby tuckerjay » Thu May 26, 2011 7:45 am

Oldfrog give Bacon's a try, very helpful and has the best selection of salt water baits in Shreveport. Store is in west Shreveport off of Bert Kouns.
tuckerjay

Postby Ray » Thu May 26, 2011 9:38 am

Oldfrog, The Crab Man has surgery a few months ago. I saw his daughter and wife in the hospital waiting room.
He should be doing good, but he is aging.
I think I posted on here when he went under the knife.
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby gerald » Thu May 26, 2011 11:16 am

Oldfrog...... glad you have had good experieces returning rod at Academy.

I saw post a few years ago, made by an Academy supervisor (?) saying that they will swap out a broken Castaway rod. I had broken a Castaway rode a couple months earlier..... so a couple weeks later I tried returning the rod here in Lake Charles..... I had my sales slip with me. I was told they did not replace Castaway rods. I asked to talk with a supervisor. He told me the same thing. I told him about the post that I had seen..... nothing helped. I did not get a replacment rod.... I was not happy.
gerald

Postby Pole_benda » Thu May 26, 2011 5:51 pm

Old Frog, here is Shreveport/Bossier City Bacon's is top notch and he carries a good bit of saltwater tackle. Also Bayou Outdoors is starting to carry more and more saltwater gear. BPS isnt always my first choice.
St. Croix Rods Pro-Staff / Maverick 18 Mirage HPX-V
Pole_benda

2009 Maverick Mirage 18HPX-V

Postby Oldfrog » Fri May 27, 2011 6:22 pm

RE: Ray: Thanks for the info. I hope he's Ok. I used to sit a talk with him for an hour or more when he had time. Nice fellow. 'Just had a triple bypass myself. Totally unexpected. I was a borderline health nut too. Low cholesterol, low BP, at the Gym 2-3 times a week, eat healthy, not overweight, never kissed a fat woman other than my grandma, all that stuff. Doc said: 2 things: Luck of the draw ( genetics) and I smoked. Guess who stopped smoking after they took a skilsaw to his chest? Yes, that would be me. Easiest decision I ever made. ( $90,000 medical bills later) :banghead:
RE: gerald:
Wow, sorry to hear that. I will admit that I wont buy those "green wrapped" castaway rods, but rather only the blue ( $84) ones....but still...I think it's being short sighted not to take care of the customers. I was under the impression it was an Academy store wide policy, but maybe it was a Castaway policy? Let's face it, Castaways arent what they used to be anyway. I had a cheapo rod break right at the handle several years ago while setting a hook and they replaced that one too. So it must not be a Castaway decision...eh ? I still think it's good business, unless you get every dork who tangled with a ceiling fan or truck door coming in to replace them....then I can see where it gets costly. Trust me, I bet any one of us have spent way more than the cost of one rod in there on any given day. I would hope that 90% of fishermen wouldn't abuse the privilege anyway. I wonder if it's a local decision to replace them?

RE: Tucker & Pole Benda: Havent been to Bacons in years.. Long drive from SE Shreveport. But thanks for the info. I really need another outlet to feed my tackle addiction. Do you guys realize I have 3 new Castaway rods and a new Shimano Stradic reel sitting in my bedroom corner that havent even been used yet? Are there pills you can take for this?
Oldfrog

Previous

Return to Tackle Shop