[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
BigLake411.com • View topic - Boats to look for and look out for(purchase question)

• Advertisement
Mercury Optimax Pro XS

Boats to look for and look out for(purchase question)

General boating discussion (boats, motors, marine electronics & accessories)

Boats to look for and look out for(purchase question)

Postby juicegoose » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:11 pm

A buddy and I recently bought a camp on the lake and are currently using a 19ft bass boat. We are looking to sell it this winter and get into a bayboat of some kind but wasn't sure what types to look for and look out for. We will be buying used in the 15k and less pricepoint. Older hulls aren't as important as newer powerplants. I've seen some different setups in this pricerange so i know the deals are out there we just don't know what boats are and aren't good. What about bluewaves and skeeters? Also is 20-22 foot the ideal length for the lake? How important is shallow water ability on the lake compared to a boats rough water capabilities. Thanks for any and all advice guys.
juicegoose

Re: Boats to look for and look out for(purchase question)

Postby jsmoke222000 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:35 pm

It's really going to depend on what type of fishing you are gonna be doing. There are lots of bay boats out there & each brand has it's advantages. Draft isn't a huge issue for most folks unless you want to fish way back in the marsh for reds. Shallow water usually isn't an issue in Big Lake but there are a few areas to avoid when the wind is blowing 30+ out of the north. Ask Ray what happens when you run into west cove on low tide with a heavy north wind. LOL

I would have to say that 2 of the more popular boat brands on the lake are Nautic Star & Blue Wave. Both are great boats & reasonably priced. I just sold my Blue Wave pure bay 2200 a few months ago & upgraded to a new Majek Extreme 2200.

I'm sure some of the guys will chime in on this one...
jsmoke222000
Site Admin

2012 Majek Extreme 2200

Postby juicegoose » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:42 pm

We both have seen some bluewaves on the water and really like them. what made you change from the bluewave?
juicegoose

Postby jsmoke222000 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:15 pm

The blue wave was an awesome boat. After I bought it, I got into tournament fishing for redfish & I decided to get a faster boat that would draft shallower so I could fish in the marsh. Big bay boats just aren't made for fishing in 10 inches of water.

The majek will be a better tournament boat for me. I see that bayboatman posted a used majek extreme in the for sale section a few days ago. I'm sure he would be glad to take you for a ride in it.
jsmoke222000
Site Admin

2012 Majek Extreme 2200

Postby juicegoose » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:55 pm

You think the bluewave would draft better then a bassboat at idle? Problem we are having is that the canel we are on can get shallow and the bassboats big ole booty sits low.
juicegoose

Postby jsmoke222000 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Hydraulic Jack plate... No way a bay boat is gonna daft less than a bass boat. Just put one man up on the bow.
jsmoke222000
Site Admin

2012 Majek Extreme 2200

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Most bay boats draft between 10 and 12 inches. They have more V in the bottom and higher sides. So, they ride better and safer in rough water.
That is draft at idle, you will have the foot of the motor below that.
I have never heard anyone complain about any Nautic Star boat, same for the newer Blue Waves. I have heard some gripe about the older Blue Waves.
If you get a newer motor, you can pay a reputable shop to hook up to it on their computer and see how it was ran.
The ECM can tell if it has ran hot, it sees the last few minutes of running and it can tell you how many minutes it ran at each RPM. That will tell you how the past owners ran her.

There is a boat repo place in ****, Tx., just below Houston, that has repo boats. Some in great shape. The boats are being sold for the bank. The repo place gets a % of the selling price. Don't pay what they are asking, make them an low ball offer. The mroe they sell for, the more the bank and the repo place ger. If the asking price is $20k and the bank is only owed $10K on it, they split the profit you pay. You don't know what the pay off is, so you need to low ball and see if they will bite.

I have a heavy 19 ft. boat. If I did it again, I wouldn't go shorter than 21 ft. I will keep mine a long time, just longer boats ride a lil better in rough water.
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby RigRatNoMeaux » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:05 am

I have a 24ft seafox and i will never own a smaller boat. It gives you enough room to fish 3 off of the front deck if need be. It handles the rough water real well. It also is a very dry ride, the boat has the carolina flares on the bow which helps with the dry ride. Go with the longest you can afford if you go small you will regret the beating you will get if you get caught in a little squall.
A BAD day of fishing is always better then a GOOD day at work!!!
RigRatNoMeaux

2002 alumacraft 16 ft, side console

Postby jsmoke222000 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:59 am

I agree with Anthony & Ray that the longer boats will ride better. The only drawback to a 24'-25' bay boat is that they are going to cost more than a 21'-22' boat. Like Anthony said, Seafox makes a great boat. Premier Yamaha in Beaumont sells both Seafox & Majek. Give them a call & ask for Paul. Tell him that you heard about them on BigLake411 & he will take care of you. :cheers:
jsmoke222000
Site Admin

2012 Majek Extreme 2200

Postby ramosrecon » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:49 pm

I have a 01 Champion 21 footer and have no complaints it has a very dry ride and Ray can vouch for that and have fished four adults out of the boat before. Three is comfortable and four is pushing but it small enough to go where I want. Being an older boat it is a heavy and I have used the trolling motor in a foot of water at times.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
C. Ramos
ramosrecon

2015 Mako 18 LTS

Next

Return to The Boat Shed