[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4860: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3850)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4862: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3850)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4863: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3850)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4864: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3850)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
BigLake411.com • View topic - Haynie Pros & Cons!!??!!

• Advertisement
Premier Yahama Boating Centers Premier Yahama Boating Centers Premier Yahama Boating Centers

Haynie Pros & Cons!!??!!

General boating discussion (boats, motors, marine electronics & accessories)

Re: Haynie Pros & Cons!!??!!

Postby ramosrecon » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:23 pm

I'm still trying to remember myself and I think I even forgot what my color pattern is anymore.
C. Ramos
ramosrecon

2015 Mako 18 LTS

Postby _W_ » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:49 pm

Best boat for big lake hands down.....comes standard with trim tabs,jack plate and stainless steel prop.... I have the Z21 and love it....Haynie boat will last longer than you can wear it out
_W_

Postby parker23 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:22 am

Is the wood in the haynie incapsulated in fiberglass? I have a Parker I bought in "98. They make their boats with wood under the deck incapsulated in fiberglass. I've had absolutly no problems. It's as solid today as when I bought it. It makes for a heavyer boat which rides better put uses a little more fuel and not quite as fast. I'll take the ride.
parker23

Postby ardoin25 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:11 pm

Parker....Yes.. the wood is completly glassed in. IM not sure how they do it but the z21 isnt that heavy. Its only 1200, dry!!! And as far as the wood making it slower, that is definatly not the case. Its a 60+ MPH boat. And its a super smooth riding boat.
:dunno:
ardoin25

Postby parker23 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Those stats are impressive. My 2300 Bigbay weighs 2800 dry and tops out mybe 40. It's a tunnel hull which slows it a little. I did a quick check of Haynie's web site a see that everything is completly glassed. How long have they been making the boat. It looks well made. Time tells.
parker23

Postby _W_ » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:35 pm

_W_

Postby ardoin25 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:27 pm

Sweet boat _W_!!!!! Nice pics, especially the one of the roost!!! Cant wait to get back home from work so I can go Demo the Z21..
:rockon:
ardoin25

Postby Ray » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:48 pm

It's not the dry ride that keeps the wood from rotting. The wood is covered by fiberglass.
It is the pounding that will cause screws to back out and let water down into the wood.
You have to make sure all screws and bolts/nuts stay tight to keep the water from running down into the wood.
I have been keeping a boat at a boat yard for 10 years. I see a lot of boats that are in there getting rotten wood changed out.
Just cause it has a dry ride don't mean it won't rot. The water is usually from washing the boat after the dry ride.
If you want, I can take you to a boat yard and let you talk to the guys who run it and the guys who work there.
They love boats with wood in them. That's how they make their money.
I love the ride and the layout of the Haynie, I am just scared of how long they will last before having to change out some wood.
But, if you keep after the loose screws and bolts, there should be no problems. But I don't want to have to worry.
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby parker23 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:56 am

I had the same concern about screws when I bought my Parker 12 years ago. I had a few screws loosen the first year or so. I put loc-tight on the threads and a little 5200 sealant under the head and tighend them back down. I have not had to redo them.
parker23

Postby Ray » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:10 am

Coring makes the boat lighter and stronger than if they used solid fiberglass. To get the same strength with fiberglass, the decks would need to be way too thick.
Making for a real heavy boat. Wood is the lightest and best coring material cause of strength, but it is the first to rot, if it gets wet.
Being dilligent about checking for loose screws and bolts, and makeing sure they are sealed off good will keep the wood dry.
This means any screws going into any surfaces with wood coring. You need to find out what devices are screwed into wood cored areas from the manufacturer.
This includes all devices under the deck like pumps, wire hangers ect... On top of the decks, make sure hatch covers, battery boxes/tie downs, center console(if screwed down),
windshield, grab rail, cleats, main engine and trolling motor mounts, GPS, dept finder, ect. are all tightened good.
Wood is just as good as the owner who checks for tight screws. If you find ANY soft spots, it's best to get them fixed right away. The smaller it is, the cheaper to fix.
If it gets too big, it means more money.
Also, some boat manufacturers have longer hull warranties than others. If you get one with wood, get the one with the best warranty. Read it well to make sure it includes
wood rot during the warranty time frame.
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

PreviousNext

Return to The Boat Shed