[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
BigLake411.com • View topic - Newbie, Where do I start?

• Advertisement
TFO Rods

Newbie, Where do I start?

General kayak / paddle craft discussion.

Newbie, Where do I start?

Postby camfame23 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:48 pm

I'm interested in purchasing a kayak but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions? My primary purpose will be fishing.
camfame23

Re: Newbie, Where do I start?

Postby tgsx750f2000 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:29 pm

these are the sites I visited alot to figure out what kayak I wanted and looked for some used ones there also.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... um.php?f=3
http://lafayettekayakfishing.com/index.php/forum
tgsx750f2000

1995 astro 17cc

Postby kenmore_mo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:18 am

First of all you need a spending limit. Then do your research on type , sit in or sit on. There are several different manufactures and models. What I noticed was that, However this should be obvious is, when it is cheap in price it usually is cheaply made. Some may not agree with me, but thats my opinion. And most of the time it holds true. If you are not sure that you would like it, go cheap and test the waters. If you are like me, spend the money once and done. I have the Hobie Pro Angler. Yes it was expensive, yes it is heavy, but it the most stable, comfortable yak out there. I can fish all day and not be tired,OK maybe not too tired LOL. This is not a waving (rapids) kayak, http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/mirage/pro-angler/
regards and be sure to wear your sunscreen!
kenmore_mo

Postby Mung » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:56 pm

Pack & Paddle in Lafayette has numerous demo days, where you can try dozens of different kayaks to see what you like. They are usually on Saturdays at Lake Martin in Breaux Bridge. Check www.packpaddle.com the next one looks to be April 16.

You can spend anywhere from $500 to $2500 depending on what bells and whistles you want. You get what you pay for, as with everything. You can get a geat paddleboat for $1000. Peddlecraft run a bit higher. The Backpacker in Baton Rouge and masseys in New orleans also have demo days, if you are over there.

In general, I'd go with 14' or more for a fishing kayak. The longer and narrower the kayak, the faster it will be for long paddles on Big lake. A Tarpon 14' or Manta Ray 14' are great fishing boats. 12' kayaks are OK for river trips, and smaller people, but they don't track as well nor hold as much gear. If you feel the need to stand, a wider boat is better. The Native Ultimate and WS Commander both are wide enough to stand and fish, and P&P has them. I think P&P also carries the Diablo, which you can stand in. However, don't expect a wide boat to be fast. I highly recommend that you try before you buy.
Mung

Postby camfame23 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Thanks a lot. Ship to Shore is also having a demo day this Saturday form 10am-2pm Westside of I-10 beach by the covered picnic tables. I'm sure this will help me out a lot in deciding on which brand to choose.
camfame23

Postby camfame23 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:12 pm

I made my decision. 2010 Wildnerness Ride 135 :dance: Now its time to slime it up. Anyone interested in introducing me to the sport of kayak fishing in the Lake Charles area? Photos to come soon. :rockon:
camfame23

Postby jsmoke222000 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:14 am

Congrats on your new yak. Looking forward to seeing some pics.
jsmoke222000
Site Admin

2012 Majek Extreme 2200

Postby camfame23 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:40 pm

I think this is how you post a picture. Image
camfame23

Postby Ray » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:47 am

My nephew works at Pack and Paddle in Lafayette.
Wonder if'n I can get a good deal over there?
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Return to The Yak Shack