• Advertisement
Majek Boats

kayak fishing at Big Lake

General kayak / paddle craft discussion.

kayak fishing at Big Lake

Postby oldman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:46 pm

would like to know the best area to fish at Big Lake in a kayak. I have never fished there a here that you can catch some real nice trout. Also what is the best bait other than live. Thanks (sorry I put this in the wrong place I am new to this )
oldman

Re: kayak fishing at Big Lake

Postby Ray » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:42 pm

Glow colored Salty Grubs on a 1/4 oz. leadhead. Hard to beat.
Or Reaction Strike Jerk Jr./Norton Sand Eels on a 1/4 oz. leadhead.
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby achilles337 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:19 pm

How come I haven't caught any good fish on those lures that were mentioned??? I have tried every brand and color lure and have yet to catch a speck on one this year. I think that I'm cursed this year!
Anyway, a good Kayak spot for me last summer was to go and launch at the Calcasieu Point Landing and just fish the entire LNG canal to your East. I fished both sides with pretty good outcomes most of the time, by the end of the canal up against the bulkheads is another good spot for nice white trout. * Watch out for the barges *
achilles337

Postby Ray » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:35 pm

I was throwing a glow Salty Grub on a 1/4 oz. lead head and also a DOA shrimp under a popping cork on Sat., Sun. and Mon. against 4 live bait(shrimp, croaker and mullet) fishermen.
I caught the same as one guy on one trip and beat everyone on the other 3 trips.
I guess it's how you work it.
If they don't hit after 10 or so casts, try a different tactic. Work fast, one twitch at a time. If not catching, double twitch. If still not catching, work slower.
If still nothing, change color. Glow is pretty hard to beat.
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby yak-aholic » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Ray wrote:I was throwing a glow Salty Grub on a 1/4 oz. lead head and also a DOA shrimp under a popping cork on Sat., Sun. and Mon. against 4 live bait(shrimp, croaker and mullet) fishermen.
I caught the same as one guy on one trip and beat everyone on the other 3 trips.
I guess it's how you work it.
If they don't hit after 10 or so casts, try a different tactic. Work fast, one twitch at a time. If not catching, double twitch. If still not catching, work slower.
If still nothing, change color. Glow is pretty hard to beat.

That sounds like some good all around information... I'll keep that in mind

Thanks.
yak-aholic

Return to The Yak Shack