[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4860: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3850)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4862: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3850)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4863: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3850)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4864: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3850)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
BigLake411.com • View topic - Total Newbie

• Advertisement
Egret Baits Kick-A-Mullet

Total Newbie

Welcome to Big Lake 411

Total Newbie

Postby CharlieAdams » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Hey everyone. I'm an avid freshwater fisherman, but have never fished saltwater. I'm addicted to watching saltwater fishing videos and reading message boards/articles about it. I live in southern Arkansas, so I figure Calcasieu is my best bet for catching a red, trout, or flounder. Hopefully I'll be able to get out there this Fall or next Spring. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions between now and then, so please bear with me. Looking forward to browsing the threads and maybe seeing y'all on the water one day.
CharlieAdams

Re: Total Newbie

Postby Mansfield Kid » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:16 pm

Welcome to the site. I am from Northwest Arkansas but grew up on the Lower Laguna Madre in Texas so not new to saltwater fishing. Pick the month you think you will be coming and go back to the last few years for that month and look at the reports. You can learn a lot, at least where to start. Although I come prepared with as much knowledge and plans as possible, it changes big time when you actually get on the water but I learn some every year. Good luck.
Mansfield Kid

Postby MartyF » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:06 am

welcome Charlie!!

Im from Stonewall, S of Shreveport. I try to go to big lake every 2-3 weeks, even just for a day. I would go every weekend but Im building a house in N Arkansas so my other weekends I go upo there.

Some times you can limit out by noon, sometimes you'll be slingin mono all day long!!

When I go Ill post a report and give as much info as I can to help out the next guy, if you want details, just PM me and Ill tell you what I know. The best thing I can tell you is to study the internet of the fish your targeting, learn their habbits and what they do at that time of year. Just as MK stated, look for reports or details as to the fish and time of year your fishing. This time of year as Jared has stated and I have found out too, the fish are deep, its hot, and they are coming up to feed in the AM and evenings. Last weekend when I was down every trout was caught in the channel, reds were caught early coming up to feed, after 11 it died off.

If you ever want to go fishing let me know I may be going that weekend.

Enjoy!
MartyF

2014 EPIC 22SC

Postby CharlieAdams » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:35 am

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to read as much as I can on here before attempting to fish. Would you recommend a guide service for my first time or just get out there and try it?

My boat is a 16'x60" Alumacraft, so I may be limited to shallower water depending on wind.
CharlieAdams

Postby MartyF » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:19 am

MartyF

2014 EPIC 22SC

Postby CharlieAdams » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:48 am

Thanks Marty!
CharlieAdams

Postby Mansfield Kid » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:54 am

I am 50% focused on fish and 100% focused on safety when I come each year. There are some things that can get you if you are not careful. I have an app that show the live time of ships in channel. I know the guys that fish BL all the time are use to the ships and know how to navigate them but one almost got me last year. I pulled over right at daylight, went up a bayou to get out of the way and pulled by a private dock to let the ship pass. The ship sucked the water out and pulled my boat under the dock, scary but I got out of it. Rookie move I know but I have great respect for safety on BL. Last year I was coming out of West Cove on North access and cut too close to ship channel Island. Ran aground in a moment going wide open. Lucky I didn't tear something up. That happened simply because I was not paying attention. I was quite a ways from the island but water still shallow. I then look at GPS map and it showed me what A rookie move I had just made. I also will not go thru the gate that is behind and right off grand bayou weir. Concrete under the water on each side of gate cost me $3000.00. I'm learning. I hired JAdams for our first day this year. My questions will first be about safety and 2nd about how to fish.
Mansfield Kid

Return to The Welcome Center