[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
BigLake411.com • View topic - Haynie Pros & Cons!!??!!

• Advertisement
Egret Baits Vudu Shrimp

Haynie Pros & Cons!!??!!

General boating discussion (boats, motors, marine electronics & accessories)

Re: Haynie Pros & Cons!!??!!

Postby Ray » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:31 pm

From a good boat delivery captain who does boat repairs:

i don't think water getting under the glass is an issue as resin bonds very well to wood. one concern woudl be poorly sealed screwed allowing water in the plywood and rotting but hopefully they have backing plates and bolts for railings, cleats, etc...

I would prefer a foam core like Divinycel which is much lighter and cant rot but marine ply is just fine.
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby Ray » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:06 pm

So, in my haste to avoid wood in boats cause of what I have seen at the shipyard and from friends personal experiences with it,
and after reading these opinions from people who know boats, I would still be wary of a boat with wood because I don't want to
have to do more to make sure it doesn't get water into it. I am a lazy fisherman, I don't want to have to check and monitor a
boat, I want to fish out of it.
But I do have to say that my opinion of wood in boats is not as it was when I first posted on this thread. But it has to
be a well built boat, by people who know how to build a boat, with wood. I don't want anyone to not buy a boat they
really feel is a great boat. I just want them to know what to watch out for.
If a boat has a lifetime warranty on wood rot, I would say buy it. Not many boat dealers give demo rides either. These are good
selling points.
But I would also put the lifetime warranty thing on the manufacturers website to deter doubters.

I have an old 30 year old antique boat with wood in it. I have to check lots of things to make sure water will not migrate into the
wood under the fiberglass. The extra maintenance is sometimes a headache. But I love the older style of boats. So I say, if it's your
style, buy it. But make sure you know what to look for over the life of the boat to keep it like you bought it.

Ray
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby Ray » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:51 pm

I stirred up a wasp nest with a few boat repair men. Some say to buy with wood, they want/need the business.
Others say nothing is wrong with wood, if built right and accessories installed correctly.

Here is another one's opinion:

Most boat owners ( and some manufacturers ) do not how to properly use screws with this type of construction. Done correctly, it is a total non-issue.

Of course, I do not like to use screws anywhere on a boat, except where forced to do so due to design. Screws are not the best choice in any situation where the connected objects are subject to strong vibration and flexing and or heavy loads. Glue ( epoxy ) and thru-bolt is vastly preferable. Just remember to "protect the capsule" when you drill a hole through it...
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby ardoin25 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:19 pm

Looks like you put some time into reserching this, Ray!! Thanks for the input and opinions!! I totally agree with wood making a stronger boat and it also being more volnerable to water damage!! I appreciate all the input!!!
:cheers:
ardoin25

Postby Ray » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:46 pm

If it's built right, and maintained right, it will last.
I have a 30 year old boat with wood coring above the water line and wood coring in the decks.
But I know a lot of older boats that have had a lot of wood rot issues.
These experts say that if it is built right and the owner keeps a check on everything, it will last.
You just need to know were all items are screwed into wood and make sure they stay sealed and tight.
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby Ray » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:06 am

From a Marine Surveyor who inspects boats for people who want to buy one but not sure about how or what to look for(sort of like a home inspector for boats):

The biggest disadvantage is the weight issue and as most have mentioned persons not sealing behind them selfs when penertrating the core material.

So long as the layup and tabbing are done well and the vessel is cared for properly it should out last most of us.

Certified Marine Surveyor & Consultant www.marinesurveyorny.com
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby Ray » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:09 am

He can see water under fiberglass with thermal imaging:

http://www.marinesurveyorny.com/blog/ThermalImages
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby _W_ » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:55 am

MY Hayine boat has a lifetime protection against wood rotten. So Buy a hayne boat and you dont even have to worry about the wood~~~~~~ Most dont keep a boat more than 10years So mine will be long long gone by 10years...I will always a new hayine every 4-5 years... :rockon:
_W_

Previous

Return to The Boat Shed