[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
BigLake411.com • View topic - Trolling Motor Batteries

• Advertisement
Egret Baits Kick-A-Mullet

Trolling Motor Batteries

General boating discussion (boats, motors, marine electronics & accessories)

Trolling Motor Batteries

Postby dollarshort » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:12 am

I bought a new boat in July 2008. The boat came with 3 Interstate batteries put in for my 24 volt trolling motor and cranking battery. The trolling motor batteries are starting to hold less and less of a charge and I feel it is time to consider replacing them. I utilize a maintenance charger on the trolling motor batteries and check water levels regularly and feel 2 years service is really unsatisfactory. The cranking battery is holding up fine but is used for little more than cranking and gauges...no radio, seldom have to use lights or accessories. Any suggestions on who makes the best trolling motor batteries for your money or hints on getting a better service life from batteries?
dollarshort

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries

Postby Suthrngntlmn » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:22 am

I use Big Mamma's and they hold up great at a decent price. I got 4 years service out of the last one I had. You can get them at the old Safety Brake on Hwy 90 next to UPS.
Suthrngntlmn

Postby ramosrecon » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:29 am

I have never used Interstate batties because I see all the problems they give people and when you try to get a warrany issue handled they or always putting the blame on something else beside the battery. I replaced the batteries on my boat with the blue top gel batteries heard a lot of good about them and found them on sale for a good price at Sam's and got four. I have never had a problem with them losing charge and I think they run longer. I run my radio, GPS/Depth Finder, and my 36 volt trolling motor off three and never lost power or weak after an all day fishing trip. The batteries I replaced were the NAPA brand deep cycle battiers and they were not going bad but they were 6 years old and I knew it would be time soon. I do use a battery charger/maintainer I keep pluged in 24/7.
C. Ramos
ramosrecon

2015 Mako 18 LTS

Postby Hydro » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:20 pm

I think its a crap-shoot...

Those Optimas look good and are quite a bit lighter than a "standard" battery, I have never owned one but may give them a shot next time my set craeters if the price is right...

My last set was Interstates and I got 4 years out of them, they were replaced with an identical set of Interstates and I am on year 2...

Good luck...
Hydro

Postby jsmoke222000 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:20 am

A good onboard charger will help extend the life of your batteries. A quality charger will charge your batteries & then maintain them until they are ready to be used. The blue top optima gell cell batteries are rock solid & I have had very good results using them in my boat. The cheapest place to get them is @ your local Sams club. The last time I check they were $154.99 each @ sams.
jsmoke222000
Site Admin

2012 Majek Extreme 2200

Postby Ray » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:19 am

The Optima's are designed and built for complete discharge and recharge. If you want a great battery, you will have to pay thru the nose for it.
If you want a good one, don't get a no name one. I found that out the hard way.
Gel cell and AGM are the best as far as being able to drain down to zero and recharge 1000's of times.
A good charger will also keep them up well.
After discharging and recharging several times, a build up on the lead plates will form. Most good chargers will have what they call an equalize
setting that will pulse the first few minutes to break the build up from the lead plates.
I have a Pro Mariner on my Chris Craft. Those batteries stay in great shape for over 5 years. Each time I go on shore power, the battery charger
goes into equalize mode for a few minutes.
I have a Guest that came on my Cobia, not sure if it has an equalize setting on it or not, but the batteries are holding up good for now.
I have the Interstate's in my boat, that is what it came with. I will keep them till they die, but I won't replace them with Interstates.

If you buy a smart charger and use Gel Cell or AGM batteries, you will have to set the charger for those types of batteries. The charger usually
comes set for Lead Acid batteries. It is usually a switch or a jumper to change settings. If not, you will damage some expensive batteries.
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Return to The Boat Shed