[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
BigLake411.com • View topic - braid vs mono

• Advertisement
TFO Rods

braid vs mono

Discuss all fishing tackle here. Rods, reels, lures, hooks, line, etc.

braid vs mono

Postby stdjas55 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:13 pm

just cleaned all of my reels and was wondering what yall think i should re string with, mono or braid? whats the advantages or disadvantages of both, figured i ask the experts.
stdjas55

Re: braid vs mono

Postby bealer77 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:03 pm

Don't forget about fluorocarbon
bealer77

Postby gerald » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:09 am

My Chevy is better than your Ford..... same type question.

I have tried Power Pro. I just had to much trouble with it backlashing using a Curado reel. I took the braided off after the third fishing trip.
gerald

Postby wchull » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:01 pm

It will make you crazy before you are accustomed to it........Pros are #1 no stretch instant hook set, less tiring when grinding all day with popping cork since a flick of the wrist imparts same action directly to the cork/bait as a full overhead backswing with a rod on mono ...#2 ultra strong for small diameter letting you put less on the reel with mono backing underneath.... much cheaper overall due to this ..#3 longer casting since it is soo slick thru the guides...Cons #1 a clinch knot will not set (clinch) because the stuff is soo slick... #2 must use a rod with ultra hard ring guides otherwise braid will put a groove in the cheaper guides....#3 mystery backlashes with no coils....#4 phantom wind knots in mid cast Particularly with spinning reels...#5 must put backing on the reel else braid will slip around the arbor of the reel See #2 pros above ..............rumor is that the dyneema name is given to the compund by Monsanto ....this after they copied the product from a French manufactured competition kite string. A pro tour bass fisherman won all the marbles in a tournament on a bass lake heavily infested with weeds when the kite string from france was used for the first time.He had a spool sent over on a whim and dragged the winning bass out of heavy cover whilst his helpless competitors looked on in amazement.
wchull

Postby Ray » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:25 pm

I use mono on bait casters, cause it is almost impossible to undo a backlash.
I use 15 lb. braid on my spinning reels cause I use a 2500 Stratic. If I use 12 lb. mono, I can chunk a 1/4 oz. with soft plastic and about run out of line.
You can put more braid on a reel than Mono of the same size.
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

braid vs mono

Postby ramosrecon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:04 pm

I use braid on all my reels except my two top water setups and on them I use mono.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
C. Ramos
ramosrecon

2015 Mako 18 LTS

Postby efaulk1 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:02 pm

I prefer braid. I do typcally use a leader, though. I like the additional length allowed, and the relative strength. The sensitivity is awesome as well. I make a wrap of black electrical tape on my spools which stops line wrap. I use Saharas and other Shimano spinning reels. Another thing, the drag has to be loosened with braid, quite loose. With no stretch, the hookset will jerk the fish's face off if you don't. There are some braids out there with stretch, but I know zero about them.
efaulk1

Return to Tackle Shop