[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
BigLake411.com • View topic - crab limits inside the weirs (lamberts)

• Advertisement
Mercury Optimax Pro XS

crab limits inside the weirs (lamberts)

Post all rules & regulations pertaining to Big Lake here

crab limits inside the weirs (lamberts)

Postby prof » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:53 am

want to crab with the kids, what is the limit inside the weirs and for that matter anywhere in the lake?
prof

Re: crab limits inside the weirs (lamberts)

Postby jsmoke222000 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:02 am

Crabbing (East Cove Unit):

Crabs may be taken with hand lines or drop nets. Only cotton line and drop nets up to 24” outside diameter may be used. Floats on crab lines are prohibited. The daily crab limit inside the Cameron Prairie Wildlife Refuge East Cove Unit (behind the weirs) is 5 dozen (60) crabs per day, per vehicle or boat.
jsmoke222000
Site Admin

2012 Majek Extreme 2200

Postby jsmoke222000 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:04 am

If you are crabbing in the lake & are not on the refuge...

Crabbing:

Crabs may be taken with hand lines or drop nets. Only cotton line and drop nets up to 24” outside diameter may be used. Floats on crab lines are prohibited. On Calcasieu Lake the daily crab limit is 12 dozen (144) crabs per day, per vehicle or boat.
jsmoke222000
Site Admin

2012 Majek Extreme 2200

Postby drakstep » Mon May 14, 2012 8:17 pm

my wife is on my az to take her and my son crabbing. I fish on big lake a little but never crab. where exactly can i go to catch crabs (not the itchy kind) the kind you catch with chicken on a string or whatever. Prefer the west side of the lake if possible. I'm not much on big crowds so do i need to bring the boat orcan we just catch them off some docks or whatever. Also could i put in at the launch on hwy 27 and just run west cove and catch some. Go figure my wife was raised in new iberia and has never been crabbing but wants me to take her. Im from above the border (I-10) Thanks for any info. new here just found the site the other day.
drakstep

Postby gerald » Mon May 14, 2012 11:28 pm

IMO.... the best place to catch crabs using a boat is by going through the Grand Bayou weir boat opening and do your crabing there in the marsh.

But..... this Marsh [East Cove unit of Sabine NR] is closed now so that is not an option.

South of Sulphur in the Sabine refuge, there are several good places to catch crabs from the bank. But on weekends, there will be lots of people. Since I usually only go to East cove to crab.... I don't know much about catching crabs on the west side. I have heard that going down to the West Cove boat launch dock is usually the best place to catch crabs in that area.

Go to the Sabine NR web site.... they have a good map showing the parking locations and all the regulations to follow.

This picture from a couple weeks ago, when Grand bayou weir access was open. Image
gerald

Postby drakstep » Tue May 15, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks Gerald
drakstep

Return to Big Lake Rules & Regulations