[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 122: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 124: array_unique() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 126: Invalid argument supplied for foreach()
BigLake411.com • View topic - Marsh rig dimensions

• Advertisement
Mercury 4 Stroke 150

Marsh rig dimensions

General boating discussion (boats, motors, marine electronics & accessories)

Marsh rig dimensions

Postby Hydro » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:03 pm

I am looking to put a marsh rig together this spring and was looking for suggestions on hull size, tunnel or no tunnel, manufacturers, ect...

It will be powered by a four stroke 40 hp tiller engine...

Thanks,
Hydro
Hydro

Re: Marsh rig dimensions

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:33 pm

I had a 20' X 36" Weldcraft. It had a tunnel and a 25 hp 2 stroke.
It was great for hunting ducks, but was lacking HP for Alligator hunting.
So I got a 40 HP 2 stroke Mercury. Great set up. Lots of torque, good to carry a load. But motor too heavy for shallow water take off during
duck season. I could move gators around to level the load. During duck season, I had to sit my friends on the bench seat. They didn't like
laying down at the front of the boat.
If you are using in shallow water, I would go with a 2 stroke. 4 strokes are great for fishing, but for hunting, I wouldn't go with the 4 stroke.
They don't have the punch for take off that the 2 stroke has.

If you go with a tunnel or just a jack plate, I wouldn't go any shorter than an 18 ft. boat. Longer boats take off better in shallow water.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten a 42" bottom instead of a 36" bottom.
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby Hydro » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks for the reply, I figured long and skinny was the way to go as those are popular rigs here from what I have seen...

As far as the 2 vs. 4 strokes, there arent allot of options left out there... I actually had an ETEC dealer tell me to not look at their engine in the 40 hp range, other than that the Hatsu is tried and true, but old technology...

Maybe somone will add to the post with a 4 stroke Merc or Yammie long-n-skinny rig...

Thanks again,
Hydro
Hydro

Postby amiller72 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:30 am

In all honesty the only way you are going to be completely satisfied with a rig like you describe and purchase everyhting new is to purchase a 40 hp Tohatsu TLDI. Its the best thing left on the market for marsh fishing. Paired with a good tunnel hull it will go basically anywhere, only drawback is that it comes standard with power trim which won't allow the motor to kick up when it hits mud or stumps.
amiller72

Postby Ray » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:32 pm

Tohotsu makes the smaller Mercury's.
They are good motors.
Just not as big a name as some.
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby Hydro » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Excel makes a 1751 and a 1860 with a kick up bracket for stumps and such... I am not crazy about that feature as it was developed for timber hunters, but may work well in the marsh... Nice looking rig, but much wider than Ray's suggestion...

Lake Area had one of their customers boats for sale last month that looked like a good deal. It was a low hour Alweld 1844 tunnel with a 50 Tohatsu. If it would have had a 40 I may have jumped on it, regardless it really gave me the bug for a marsh boat...

Thanks,
Hydro
Hydro

Postby Ray » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:26 am

Be sure the ribs are not far apart. I think my Weldcraft were like 12" or 18" apart.
The closer they are together, the stronger the boat, less leaks due to vibration and bumping bottom.
Wider boats get on top quicker. Just harder to hide in the grass if you are hunting. It takes more work
to build a blind for a wider boat.
There is nothing wrong with a wide boat.
Ray
Site Admin

2009 Cobia 19 Bay

Postby Hydro » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:42 pm

The Excel F4 is looking better all the time...

I need to make time and run over to Port Arthur and kick some tires, too bad Chris' folded up shop as they were handling them as well...

Thanks for all of the suggestions,
Hydro
Hydro

Postby firstinfireman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:12 am

i run a 2000 weld craft 20x36 4" tunnel with a 2000 f40 yamaha 13p powertech nreb with heavy cup, jack plate 4" set back. I run 34mph in deep water by myself with two ice chests full of ice. I run 29 mph loaded down for duck hunting with 70 decoys dog two guns and a 400 pound partner. yamaha f40 does fine, but with the jack plate you just have to roll into the throttle in shallow water or else it will blow out. 6-8" of water no problem even loaded. even less when fishing.
firstinfireman

Marsh rig dimensions

Postby kjburleigh » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:20 pm

Get a gator tail. Lookem up.
kjburleigh

Next

Return to The Boat Shed